Cornerstones in Masonic giving to the U of M

Minnesota Masonic Charities is the single largest donor to the U of M.  Here is a look at the history of giving.  

1955

Masonic Cancer Center Fund is established and raises $1 million to build the 80-bed Masonic Memorial Hospital.

1963-66

A campaign raises more than $1 million to add two new floors to the hospital.

1980

$875,000 is pledged to construct and equip an outpatient clinic.

1981

Masonic Families give $1.1 million for more lab space and a new oncology clinic.

1992

A $5 million pledge supports construction of the four-story Masonic Cancer Research Building.

2006

Minnesota Masonic Charities pledges to raise $10 million for a new, state-of-the-art cancer clinic. Building was complete in 2016. 

2008

Minnesota Masonic Charities commits $65 million to support what is now the Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota.

2014

The U’s children’s hospital is renamed in honor of the Masons’ longtime giving and new $25 million gift.

2017

The University of Minnesota launches Driven: The University of Minnesota Campaign. The largest fundraising campaign in the U’s history, Driven aims to raise $4 billion by 2021. As the U’s largest donor, Minnesota Masonic Charities is playing a key role in the success of this campaign.

2018

Ten years after their record-setting pledge of $65 million to the Masonic Cancer Center, Minnesota Masonic Charities accelerates this support with an expedited installment of $25 million. The funding is driving crucial research in precisely targeted approaches to cancer prevention and treatment, launching the U’s first-ever clinical trial through the statewide Minnesota Cancer Clinical Trials Network, and more.

2020

Minnesota Masonic Charities commits $35 million to establish and name the Masonic Institute for the Developing Brain. The original cornerstone for the building that will house the institute was laid by the Masonic Fraternity in 1922 by Grand Master Herman Held.